Monday, April 11, 2005

Kirs, Beers, and Cheers


IMG_1048(edited)2
Originally uploaded by ronnie_sjr.

Back in Paris, and enjoyed a trip around the Louvre foyer (didn't go into the museum this time around, but the souvenir shop is pretty impressive). Finished off the evening with way too many kirs and beers. Plus the obligatory kebab. You can take the drunks out of Australia but...well, you know the rest.

We fly to Turkey tomorrow morning, and I'm more than a little apprehensive about flying Turkish Airlines. Even though I survived my Ryan Air flight, which involved a rush for seats, a scary take-off, and a less than civilised disembarking procedure, I am still nervous. Maybe it's because I don't speak any Turkish, maybe it's got more to do with the usual anticipation of flying into a new and exciting place. I don't know.

I've been trying to think about how I'm going to introduce myself on the bus when our Turkey tour starts. I know I'll have to say something witty, that makes the boys think "hmm cool chick" and all that rot, but I fear that crapping on about my holiday will make me sound obnoxious.

So I think I'm going to talk about what I want to do while in Turkey. I want to try Turkish coffee; have authentic Turkish delight (while at the same time harbouring a real love for the Haigh's take on it); and try the street-side herbal cigarette/cigar thing that is rumoured to taste like apples.

Too bad if the boys don't think that's cool - I will be pretty darn proud of myself if I can tick those 3 things off my list by the end of this next adventure.

4 comments:

kilabyte said...

Talking Turkey is easy .... gobble gobble .... I know, that was bad. Ok enuff gobbledegook (I'll stop now). Hope there will be a huge WOW factor and I'm pretty sure that Anzac Cove, 5:30 am 25/4 will be very moving indeed. The 90th anniversary I believe - all very memorable. If you shed a tear I am sure you will be in good company.

Anonymous said...

Also make sure to buy a pretzel from one of the street vendors! Good, tasty and cheap food!

In Istanbul, there are lots of great and reasonably affordable places to get genuine and quality Turkish nosh.

From memory (was in Istanbul in 1996), some words:

'Merhaba' (hello)
'Chock Tesheker Ederim' (thank you very much)

Note: spelling not exact - needed to convey it phonetically so you can pronounce it correctly!

kilabyte said...

Hey Sharon ..... I had a Grik mate at school that tried that one on me too .... translated back in English to "I have three testicles". His mother wasn't impressed either when I said it to her.

Anonymous said...

hehehehehe! that's funny!! i think my translations are OK...otherwise there are going to be a heck of a lot of reprints of Lonely Planet's 'Turkey' guide where i got them from!!!