Saturday, February 19, 2005

Now THAT'S what I call a send-off!


The Clan
Originally uploaded by tink007.


Yesterday's family BBQ was a great opportunity to get the Clan together (biologicals and non-biologicals) for an Aussie BBQ.

Kudos to kilabyte for truly legendary hamburgers and to Rae for keeping the champagne flowing.

Jems presented me with a truly international and really creative farewell banner. Thankfully it was not a photo board - not one of my favourite things. Leaving her for a year is not going to be pretty.

I'd take my sister with me in my hand luggage if it wasn't already stuffed with Tim Tams of almost every variety, and Vegemite in neat little squeezy tubes (what will they think of next?). Katie will very soon have a serious Vegemite fix if her Parisian pantry is lacking in it, that's for sure.

Sorry in advance to the family members and friends who figured that I wouldn't read the beautiful things you wrote in my travel journal before I actually took off. I know I wasn't supposed to peek, but too bad. At least I waited until you'd all gone home before I read your messages. So naturally, another champagne-fuelled sob session followed and none of you were there to see it. Phew.

This morning as I reflect on what was said and done yesterday, I know how lucky I am to have such great loved ones. And I'm fortunate that I can read back over my journal while I'm away and remind myself of that fact over and over.

I'll just make sure that batreg keeps a supply of Kleenex at the ready for me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm afraid the kleenex are in the same category as the toilet seat coovers - very much a case of bring your own!!