Monday, January 03, 2005

Winners are grinners

Last night's wintery weather brought with it a mild Adelaide day - only 22 degrees Celcius expected in this (supposedly) mid-summery corner of the world. Not that I can tell, as I'm imprisoned on the sixth floor of my stuffy, quasi air-conditioned building.
On the upside, the $31 million lottery draw gave some Aussies a very Happy New Year and, as I trudged to work in my woolly vest (and pants too, you perverts), I longed to be one of them. I was fantasising how nice it would be to be told by the Lotteries person, in scanning my lotto ticket, that I didn't need to go to work today, given my new-found riches.

Then by the time I reached the newsagency, reality had set in, and I'd decided to settle for being told that I'd won enough to buy a decent cup of coffee.
Well imagine my surprise and satisfaction to be handed $22.45 for my troubles. That is lunch AND a cup of coffee. Not enough to retire on, of course, but better than what I walked in with.
Winners are grinners, and the rest can please themselves.

No comments: