Thursday, January 20, 2005

The Way Things Are

Today is my last day at work, and it all feels a bit surreal. I've only ever left one job, and that was the video store - there was no pomp and ceremony surrounding that departure. Just the end of a shift, a bottle of champagne thrust in my hand (bless 'em), and I was out of there.
But leaving the agency has an altogether different feel. I was presented with a lovely gift at yesterday afternoon's drinks - beautiful jewellery and a voucher for Oxfam, both of which demonstrated such generosity on the part of work chums. And tonight's drinks at the revamped Richmond Hotel will be bring together friends new and old, to reminisce on good times and give me a chance to finally accept that I've actually finished working here.
Perhaps that's what I am yet to fully appreciate - this is it. In a few weeks time, I will be on the
other side of the world, experiencing things I've been dreaming about for years. It sounds cliche, but it really did feel like just yesterday I was submitting my leave form to kick-start the holiday planning, and now it's right here. We've got through the Christmas and New Year hurdles that had seemed so remote at the time. Sigh, weird how time really does fly.
This will most likely be my last regular post for a while. I'm spending the next 4 weeks at home, but our domestic internet connection is just not reliable. I hope that when things improve, I will be able to come back on here, and blog on about the 'interesting' things I will be doing in the 4 week hiatus between my work life ending, and my new life beginning.
Take care until we next meet here.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Poignent - a sad, sad day, for DEH but a hap hap happy one for you!

kilabyte said...

And for me ... becoz now someone can get me breakfast in the morning for a change.