Monday, January 17, 2005

Hands off my knickers!

In this age of unrest about terrorism, globalisation, wars, etc a story that I heard yesterday shouldn't really have surprised me, but it did. Security guards at some airports and train stations are now uber vigilantes when it comes to checking passenger luggage for bombs and other incendiary devices, and they are snipping off the padlocks travellers are advised to secure to their suitcases.
So I can't really protect myself from these unauthorised searches, I know that. But when I am a little concerned about the risk that my suitcases may be searched at the airport, while I have to stand there and account for their contents - dirty undies and all.
I know it is rather commonplace for customs officers to rifle through a passenger's belongings infront of people, but I've never been that hapless passenger before. I don't want just any uniformed guard going through my smalls! Let's have coffee first, and chat about life, before you reach in and cast aspersions on my underwear preferences. Or at least introduce me to your mother. If not - hands off, buddy!
Do you think the customs people make judgements about your underwear? Should I spend a small fortune on new, sexy underwear in the event that I get searched? Or should I perhaps put on every pair of underwear I own before I board the plane, so that if I am searched, no underwear is found in my suitcase and I am saved the embarrassment of having them waved around the airport. Hmm, that's an interesting idea. Too weird though, even for me.

2 comments:

kilabyte said...

Says he with all the brilliant ideas ..... "Don't wear any underwear, sox, headbands etc ..... " Not as silly as it sounds ..... think about it for a moment ..... no washing, drying problems ............. Oh !!! da momma just said you're not going anywehre without your clean underwear - just in case. Drat, another good idea down the drain.

Unknown said...

But what if I faint in the airport or something? I can't have the paramedics get some kind of....surprise when they are trying to administer medications. Decent underwear is a given.