Sunday, December 05, 2004

(My) precious little bookworm

People who know me well are aware of my book fetish. Lately I have been devouring any book that decides to invade my bedroom for any length of time (no one to blame but itself really). I suppose I can consider myself a bookophile (book fan, book worm, take your pick). And I also know that I'm not alone in this passion. There are a lot of bookies out there, and they don't hide it either. On public transport, on the beach, on a plane- they put it right out there.


So why couldn't the ABC round up 6 like-minded bookfans for last night's horrific "My Favourite Book"?! Jennifer Byrne (and all her bloody teeth) was out in full force fronting up the abysmal show, where they sought to count down the top books in Australia.


I'm not carrying on about the results because my two favourite books were in the Top 5 (To Kill a Mockingbird and Pride and Prejudice) but come on people - give a panel that can at least discuss these works credibly, objectively and LIKE ADULTS.


Even that giant knob from CNNNN was on form last night, crapping on about shit the whole time, dumping on anything remotely literary, in a vain attempt at securing laughter. He got a whole heap of sympathethic tittering from the crowd, and me leaping around my lounge room calling him a giant knob for an hour.


How hard would it have been for Channel 2 to find 6 'celebrities' to talk honestly about their favourite book (was that not the premise of the damn show)?! I've not read the Tolkien trilogy that ended up taking top honours, but I can at least recognise its brilliance, as well as understand its appeal to generations of readers.


So why dump on it? Why not just accept it for what it is and be happy to discuss its merits? Why did that giant knob have to piss on all the Tolkien fans for being deranged? They're fans, dumbass - of course they're going to be slightly off kilter but they love something - what are YOU a fan of?! Let's see....yourself?! Bah.

Okay sorry - that was a short tirade atop a soapbox, just for Stoney xox

No comments: