Monday, November 29, 2004

The guinea pigs live to fight another day

I have decided not to go to Peru.


Reading the "Smart Traveller" website this morning, I was reminded of the grisly fate that has befallen foreign visitors in recent times - rapes, armed robberies, and a delightfully swift innovation knows as "express thefts" - where you are robbed whilst standing at an ATM. Well I guess it saves time for everyone, really. I rang the Peru's Challenge people today and apologised for any inconvience. Fortunately for me, I hadn't caused any inconvenience at all.


Now that I've made this decision, again I'm not sure what I should be feeling. Relieved? Actually I think I feel like a big chicken. Although the Peru's Challenge people understood my reasons for not wanting to be at risk, I can't help but think that rapes and robberies and such happen every day in first world cities like Rome, London, hell even Adelaide. So why does it scare me so much about Cuzco? I suppose it's the fact that if someone attacked me here, or even in Rome or London, at least I could be assured of first world health care, and a familiar standard of convalescence. I suppose over in Peru it would be in the laps of the gods. I was willing to entrust intestinal worms to Peruvian physicians, but that would be about it I think.


So the next stage in this debacle is to think seriously about what to do instead. And how to arrange a visit with the least about of psychological damage to my travel agent, who has been a paragon of patience and understanding throughout the entire planning process.

You'll have to forgive me for the inevitable carry-on that will ensue over the next few days while I try and adjust to my own self-induced setback. Please post a comment if you have any suggestions for a creative and exciting diversion!

2 comments:

kilabyte said...

Oh well, I guess "rutting" happens everywhere these days. Great word, rutting.

They tell me that if you're into adventure but don't want to move too far away from home, Flinders Chase in KI is it. Apparantly it is koala rutting season and if you've ever seen it, it is a sight to behold. All those male koalas on the ground rutting here, rutting there.

The females in the trees going tst tsk tsk, Hey Ethel, I see your Henry is at it again, down with Bob, rutting again. Ethel the Koala answers back, forget it Henry, last time we ended up with 4 little Koalas, I've just got my figure back, no more .... you and Bob go take a cold shower. Great word, rutting !!!

Unknown said...

Lay off the drugs, Mikey hehe