Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Ola magaritas

I have come to a fairly interesting decision about my upcoming trip, and that is the inclusion of Peru as a destination.

I have been fascinated by ancient cultures for as long as I can remember, and the Egyptians, Romans, and Incans particularly have always been a real curiosity. So when I saw a spot on "The Great Outdoors" on TV about a fortnight ago, it was the clincher.

Called "The Serpent Challenge" (let's hope for a spiritual, not reptilian, reason), Perus Challenge is a great 4-week introduction to beautiful Cuzco. And let's face it, if you've seen "The Emperor's New Groove", you'll understand the appeal of that place. So the four weeks is a volunteering opportunity to work with the young kids of Cuzco, helping them build a school and basically the surrounding community too. I have asked to help the kids read and write English, because I'm not much of a gardener or artist or musician (some of the other vocations). The website also asks you to bring things for the kids with you - the sorts of supplies they'll need to be most effective in the activities you'll be doing with them. But the real coup for me is the chance to learn Spanish during the days, when I'm not with the kids. The price of the tour includes four weeks of Spanish lessons AND trips up to Macchu Pichu and other Incan sites - what fun!

Now I have done some readings and I'm well aware of the delightful array of innoculations I have to endure in the lead-up to this adventure, but I can do it. I can be brave and let them use my arm for target practice, right? I am not sure what japanese encephalitis does to you, but I'd rather not find out....

No comments: