Monday, November 05, 2012

McGyver Moments

My apartment still doesn't have heat or hot water, but the notice in the lobby today suggests we'll be back to normal by Friday, if not earlier.  So far I'm coping OK with the service interruption but talk to me on Wednesday and we'll see. 

I made an attempt at a cold shower on Sunday morning.  Not my best idea.  I am such a baby when it comes to bathing in icy cold water.  There is nothing refreshing or restorative about it.  I got my hair a little bit wet and had brain freeze.  Then my toes froze and I had to get back into my pyjamas.

I'm trying really hard not to be precious about all this, but I made the mistake of looking at the weather forecast for this week.  Early on we're expecting top temps of 10 degrees (Celcius) during the day, falling to 7 degrees for the latter part of the week.  I couldn't bring myself to look at the night time temps.  Chilly or what?!  So it's about coping the best way I can.

My mood improved exponentially on Sunday morning when I got groceries delivered.  Ordering online meant I didn't have to be depressed by post-apocalyptic empty shelving in the stores closest to my house.  I didn't have to resort to evaporated milk (or worse, no milk at all).  I got fresh bananas, bagels, vanilla yoghurt, hummus, and an assortment of seriously healthy produce.  Now I'm not stupid. I  know what's going to happen; it will all just sit in my fridge and rot because I'm too bone lazy to cook for myself, but the point is I actually got it all and for the briefest of moments, I was happy again.

And for Sunday afternoon I was able to enjoy several steamy cups of Nespresso coffee, and a couple of Twinings teas.  I cocooned myself in a fluffy red blanket, my face poking out like a little babuskha, just far enough to see my computer screen and watch some episodes of "Game of Thrones".  Side note, how awesome is that show?  I know I am late to the party here, but I got totally waylaid by "True Blood" and "Homeland".  But I'm here now, so let's rejoice.

Finally at about 6pm, having sat around in my pyjamas and bed hair all day, I had repulsed myself for long enough.  I pulled myself together, and had a go at washing my hair over the bath.  Channelling McGyver himself, I boiled the kettle, diluted the scalding hot water enough to be bearable, and bent forward.  I even managed to get water ON my head first time!  It was quite the success and as I lathered the shampoo, I was feeling quite chuffed.  I only had enough water left in the kettle to do a half-assed rinse.  But a quick refill with the cold tap rinsed the rest of the suds off and I was left with clean, pretty-smelling hair once more.  But I didn't stop there.  I even went so far as to do a proper blowdry AND applied styling product.  McGyver had fluffy, styled hair too remember!  Every bit of effort counts.

I know that when our heating finally does get turned on, it's going to be like the Sahara in our apartment.  And I know I'll complain.  But for now, the very prospect of that is divine to me.  And being able to hang out under a scalding showerhead with the bathroom radio blaring just sounds like heaven. 

Will Friday ever get here?!

No comments: