Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Bottomless Pit

You know what woke me up this morning?  My stomach rumbled.  This beggars belief, as all I have been doing for the past 48 hours is eating.  And yet there it was, a low but insistent rumbling, urging me to get out of bed and find coffee and food, pronto.  Naturally I obeyed.

Yesterday was Family BBQ Day and you've got to love those.  Plus the persistent rain we've had over this past week gave way to a stunning day.  The sun was shining but there was a bit of a chill in the air, but still good enough for us to mill around outside and graze on delicious antipasto platters and silly conversation.  In a way the family had come together to celebrate my visit home but it also doubled as the official commemoration of my aunt's half-century on this planet.  Like me, my aunt was in denial about her birthday but we made a fuss of her anyway.  Gifts a-plenty and a delicious sausage sizzle fired up by J-Train (my cousin, and he of the recent visit to New York fame).  The pavlova for dessert was super delicious too.  And the big surprises of the day was my cousin A-Train who had come down from Brisbane for the celebration, and K&K who made the drive over from Whyalla to visit us.  It was great to have all the family together.  And even though G-Man arrived late and had lost his soccer game, at least he scored the only goal of the match.  Most excellent.

I was on my best behaviour yesterday too, restricting myself to a couple of glasses of bubbly, ingested quite late in the afternoon, and I think this restraint helped fend off the food coma.  At least until the evening when we had hot chips & dim sims from the famous Blue & White cafe at North Adelaide.  Another South Aussie food icon ticked off the list.  

With a full belly after a family-filled day, I crawled onto the couch and wrapped myself in a blanket.  I was trampled by the puppy dog until she found a comfortable spot on top of me, and we both fell sound asleep.  I woke up at 2am to Justin Bieber banging on about the benefits of Proactiv, so I decided it was time to go to bed.  Puppy seemed equally content.

No comments: