Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Close your mouth, dear!

My lethargy since the NYC Half Marathon is well-documented and with the exception of a couple of Pilates classes, I can honestly say that all I’ve really been doing is growing my hair, stuffing my face, and procrastinating. 

I’ve even had odd jobs to do for weeks around the house and yet I’ve found every reason to put off doing them.  My letter back to Grandma is mentally written (whatever good that does), and my new bedroom blinds aren’t going to install themselves.  Every time I look at my coats (leather, trench, and winter varieties) I see how badly they need a dry-clean.  And yet I have found excuses to avoid all these outstanding tasks.  It hasn’t helped that these last few days I’ve been fighting off the start of a cold and seasonal allergies: snotty nose, sore throat yadda yadda really attractive.

Now that’s not to say I’ve not been enjoying my life lately.  I mean, among other diversions what’s not to love about trying to be hip at a Sesame Street staff talent show at the Village Lantern, grazing on mac & cheese at Beecher's, getting a trivia fix at Saloon NYC, dining French-style at CafĂ© d’Alsace or brunching and boozing at the shiny, new NY Beer Company and the not-so-shiny or new Jimmy’s Corner?  No complaints here, let me tell you.

But this is the last week I’m letting myself get away with such self-indulgent nonsense, because this is Week 1 of Pilates boot camp.  Twice a week for the next 5 weeks, I’m taking myself back to the Pilates studio for hour-long physical punishments.  Just me, a sadistic instructor, and three other terrified students upping the cardio and full-body workouts.  And I’m actually paying for this.  What the?!

I’ve seen a Pilates boot camp class in progress.  Granted I only watched about 5 minutes of it, because it scared the hell out of me and I had to turn my attention back to my magazine.  Even when I couldn't see it, I could still hear the painful winces of the students, as they strained to do one more push-up, or plank for 30 seconds more, and I could sense their pain as they tried to hold those weights aloft just a little bit longer. 

But I’ve decided that enough is enough and it’s time that I got up amongst it.  I might prove to be the slowest, most unfit person in the class.  I may even cry, give up, or die.  But I might also be none of those things.  Either way, I have to give it a try and see how I go.  I’ve put my money down and I’m giving myself 5 weeks to meet my teacher half way.  He promised me a beach-ready body, so now I have to do my part.  And I’m ready for it.  I have a cute new gym top and everything.

Ane even though Pilates starts this week, I am still allowing myself a little reprieve on the diet and drinking front.  Continuing a seven-year, unbroken tradition I simply must celebrate Cinco de Mayo this Saturday and I can’t wait.  At this stage my menu plan includes tilapia cooked in salsa verde, Mexican rice, and corn chips with guacamole and salsa, all sloshed down with margaritas.  Hell to the yeah. 

And if my teacher scolds me, I’ll do some additional ‘penance planking’ or something.  It's all muy bueno, amigo.

No comments: