Monday, April 02, 2012

Push and Pull, Give and Get

So it's been just over two weeks and I still haven't run a single step since the NYC Half-Marathon.  Not one.  Not even running for the bus. Don't look at me like that.  It's enough that I'm looking at me like that.

And when I remind you that I'm technically in training for my next half-marathon on April 15, no doubt you are looking even further down your nose at me.  Believe me - I know!

But today I got back in the saddle by lying flat on my back at Pilates. I had a new instructor tonight and a very softly-spoken one to boot.  And if I thought my knee was bad, my hearing is so much worse.  So I knew I was in for a cracker class.  As my muscles strained, so did my ears - straining to hear the calming, dulcet tones of the sadist that was trying to turn me into a pretzel.  My hamstrings cried, my inner thighs didn't know what the hell was going on, and my hip joint spasmed in a way that told me it was most displeased.

After an hour of pulleys and springs, twists and turns, we were done.  I almost fell off the Reformer machine in relief.  The instructor came over to me and said I had actually done a really good job.  I peered up at him and must have had quite a look on my face, cause he laughed really hard and slapped me on the back.  He said something about my strong inner thighs, and he shuffled off.

I think I need a hearing aid.

No comments: