Monday, July 23, 2007

Be silent, be still

It’s been a while since I last posted and there is a very good reason for it. As I reclined on the couch last night watching my 4th episode in the “CSI” marathon, I realised that I had not been that idle in days.

Every single night last week, I was out and about. Some nights I crawled into bed at 10pm, other nights it was closer to 1am. And while to my credit, I managed to make it to work on time every day; it’s safe to say that the pace of the week has finally caught up with me.

But I’ve also been writing these posts long enough to know that nobody likes a whiner, so I’m just going to shut up and deliver you the high points of the week that was:

  • Two French martinis and a free preview screening of “Hairspray”.
  • Pub crawling with Bork and playing R-rated computer games.
  • Fridge died and all food had to be thrown out – even all the stuff I had cooked and frozen in a moment of smug, home-cooked preparedness.
  • Finding a reggae dive bar close to my house, and dancing to Bob Marley till after midnight on a school night.
  • Enjoying delicious hors d’oeuvres at a client’s house overlooking Lake Michigan as the sun set.
  • Being given Haigh’s chocolate frogs by an Adelaide visitor – and not having to share them.
  • Attending a one-night-only exhibition of Aboriginal Australian artwork at a downtown gallery.
  • Slumping on a barstool to watch the Aussies lose at the soccer and the rugby (the slumping was the highlight – not the sporting losses!).
  • Hitting the town with Wongy and her Brit visitor and not getting home till 5am.

Having taken care of all my laundry yesterday, I peeked rather gingerly at my schedule for this week, just hoping that it would not be as full as last week’s (my brain is younger than my body I think). And true enough, the only thing I have in the schedule is the Colin Hay concert on Thursday night – and I don’t even have tickets to that so I’m under no obligation to rock up. Or rock on. Or whatever you do at a Colin Hay concert.

Dare I suggest that I will be house-bound this week, cooking more food to freeze and thaw out over the coming week? Our new fridge/freezer is looking a little sparse since we had to pitch everything out. It was sad to see my soup go; it was a good batch too. Yes, I think it will be a cooking week – but for now, I shall recline on the sofa and watch more “Food Network” – for inspiration, of course.

No comments: