Monday, June 25, 2007

Alfresco Therapy


you want milk or cream, honey?
Originally uploaded by JKonig.

I realise that this is the second post in as many days that is headlined by a picture of a chair, but it can't really be helped. Even though we had a particularly steamy, humid day in Chicago, today I discovered the healing powers of the alfresco cafe.

I had a late afternoon appointment with my apartment-seeker lady, and it didn't go so well. But we are hopeful that a very cute property in Lincoln Park will open up next week. And in anticipation of this, the apartment lady is going to call the building every single day next week until they let us see their one-bedrooms. So I'm still hopeful.

But Dr G hadn't had such a great day, so I agreed to catch up with her on Southport for a quick drink. Well that turned into two cocktails and a shared plate of calamari outside at "Coobah". I've only ever been to that Cuban restaurant in winter time, when the place is so packed and toasty cosy, full of spicy smells and devilishly strong drinks. It was a pleasant change to visit at this time of year, with the front windows wide open and the outdoor tables filling steadily. The wait staff are very friendly and responsive, so me and Dr G spent a lovely hour or so just chilling there.

We took a walk around the neighborhood and I made some notes of various leasing companies renting out some one-bedroom places (out of my price range but it's good to check out their websites for other options). And then when we'd had enough window-shopping - or just looking in windows - we retired to our mutually favourite coffee shop, Julius Meinl, for a restorative dose of caffeine (and air conditioning).

There is something lovely about cruising the neighbourhood, grazing at various bars and coffee shops, watching the world go by. Dare I say the cafe culture of Southport is particularly European? I like that about it.

No comments: