Sunday, February 11, 2007

When you've 'bean' to Boston

I am sitting at the airport in Boston waiting until my boarding call to return to Chicago and I've been trying to remember everything that I've done since I got here on Thursday. I get the distinct impression that the next few blog entries will be entirely out of chronological order. Despite the hole in the space/time continuum, I'll try and bring you up to speed on the fun I had with the Hardys in beautiful Bean Town.

Let's start by saying that the sensible tourist does not come to Boston in February. While the weather here has been a heatwave compared with Chicago, neverthless it was still terribly cold to the point where I had to keep clenching my fists just to defrost my fingers! I lived in my winter coat and gave appropriate amounts of thanks to my Grandma for the scarf she knitted me for Christmas.

I arrived from Chicago at around 11.45am on Thursday and though I had been up since 5am, I was running on adrenalin and I was really excited to have the opportunity of exploring a new City. Kate wasn't due to arrive from Paris until around 4.30pm, so I checked into our hotel (the Hilton Financial) ahead of her. Given my non-existent sense of direction, I was not too inclined to explore the City without Kate, so I restricted myself to the side streets all around my Hotel. As it was, one could get very displaced just meandering through there - loads of one-way places and pokey laneways that made it very hard to keep one's bearings. Anyway, with an Irish pub on every corner, I don't suppose it really matters where you end up! I settled into one of the more authentic-looking establishments and tucked into some hearty bangers & mash, all washed down with a cold Guinness. Ahh it was bliss, to be sure.

Then I went back to the Hotel and stayed in the room, for fear that Kate would arrive and not be given a key. I laid down to watch a terrible Richard Gere movie, and must have dozed a little. I awoke to find Kate & her mum trying to open the door. It was great to see the girls again. Mr H was still in NJ for a wine event, but he would arrive later that night.

So K and I relaxed a bit until dinner, and we swapped some souvenirs and travel stories in our room. Then it was dinner time and we all packed off to Bertucci's, one of a chain of Italian restaurants where I had a very nice (though very filling) calzone and a glass of Italian wine (the start of a pattern really).

We then slept like the dead, ready to face Day 2 in Bean Town. More to follow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

beanz meanz fartz - so on return home there will be new meaning to the term 'windy city'

Unknown said...

Classy guy Dodge!
Gab, can't wait to hear the travel tales of the wayward Aussies in Boston ... if that's where you've really bean!!