Thursday, December 07, 2006

Jack Frost nips at EVERYTHING!


Snowman in Okaimeden
Originally uploaded by Squirmelia.

I used to think that if it snowed, that was the coldest that things could possibly get. For me, snow was the ultimate indicator that things were the coldest they would be and you just had to put up with it.

But ever since I arrived in Chicago, I've come to understand that, at times, it is simply too cold to snow. Yes, there are times where even the snow hits the proverbial snooze button and refuses to come out.

Take this morning for instance. I walked to work from my bus stop and it is a staggeringly nippy MINUS 10 celcius! And when it gets to be that cold, you don't even feel it anymore. I'm sure you would feel it, except for the fact that your brain matter is solid ice and the water in your eyeballs has frozen solid.

This sort of cold is literally bone-chilling. My face is incapable of expression, so I resemble an over-Botoxed Hollywood tartlet, and I get a headache from being sandblasted by the winds off the Chicago River. The wind chill really is that intense.

And yet the City is at its best at this time of year. The cold and the snow and the wind chill can't stop the Chicago party season. And it can't stop me getting out to enjoy it.

But the email from home this morning tell me that it's going to be 38 degrees Celcius there today literally warmed me all the way to my toes. I closed my eyes and escaped a little to that warm hemisphere. Hard to believe I'll be there next week. Not many more sleeps now, Mum...

No comments: