Friday, December 01, 2006

Is it possible to be too fabulous?


Fresh Fish
Originally uploaded by ladyloneranger.

Over the past 13 months in Chicago, I've found that the most fun I have is when I have fun and seize the moment. It has been my experience that opportunism has given me some great memories.

And so it was last night that I met Jenn for a drink at The Townhouse, a cute wine bar/restaurant in The Loop, just down the road from my work. Jenn and I ordered some delicious prosecco and sat at the bar to catch up. She then blurted out that she had dinner plans with some old college friends, and invited me to join them. At 6pm. Phew, the pressure was on. So we downed our drinks ultra-quickly and we walked the three blocks to the restaurant.

I had heard of Nick's Fish Market pretty much as soon as I arrived in Chicago and indeed, every time I walk to the Cult I go past it. But I never knew that the place was quite so fancy. I don't know, I guess I figured because it is located next to a McDonald's, I had always just thought it was a fast-food place, or a seafood joint in the manner of Red Lobster or something.

But let me tell you, this place is amazing. You want a glass of champagne? It's Veuve Cliquot all the way, baby. And you want escargots? Forget the little boogery nuggets you get at some places. At Nick's, you get meaty, wholesome snails enveloped in a fluffy puff pastry pocket and swimming in garlicky goodness. Dreamy. And the seafood linguine? Well it's heavy on the fishy delights, and light on the pasta. It was my idea of heaven.

And after dinner, where I was warmly welcomed by Jenn's fellow alumni, she and I retired to the bar upstairs to chat up the Polish barman and score free cocktails for our trouble. The lychee martini is to die for. We even got invitations to a Polish drinks party next week in Bucktown, where we have already staked our claim to two barstools, and free champagne for the entire night.

As the slushy sleet started to fall outside, I was enjoying a wonderful night that I can honestly chart up to one of the most fun I've had in this City so far.

No comments: