Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Bringing Chicago home with me

I have been thinking a lot about home these last few weeks. Actually, there has been a homesickness epidemic at work, with K and Mero taking off for the homeland around the same time as me. So I've probably been in the worst environment possible to shake the nerves and excitement I'm feeling about returning to Australia, even if it is only for a few weeks.

As my thoughts turn to what I might pack for my holiday home, I was thinking about Christmas presents for family and friends. What can I buy here that would be unique to Chicago; something special that I can pick up here rather than in any shopping mall back home [and believe me, the last thing I want to deal with back home is Christmas shopping in Rundle Mall rush hour!].

On the bus home last night, Lex and I decided that it would be fun for me to make a DVD of my favourite sites in Chicago. She has agreed to be camerawoman, and thus the idea for the first short film from the "Preston Productions" studio was born. My list of location shoots is starting to take shape, and includes a tour of my apartment, my fabulous gay neighbourhood, the public transportation system, Wrigley Field, and even some action scenes, hopefully supervised by someone with medical training. I can declare there will be no stunts, no nudity, occasional swearing, and definitely some Harry's Hotdogs. A PG-13 DVD, on very limited release.

This DVD will not help me solve the gift-giving dilemma, but it will make a fun diversion for family and hopefully more interesting than sifting through loads of photos in an album. That's the idea anyway. Outdoor shooting commences this weekend. Lights, camera, action!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lubricating the vocal cords already:

Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind?
Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and auld lang syne?

CHORUS:
For auld lang syne, my dear,
for auld lang syne,
we'll take a cup o’ kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

And surely you’ll get your pint mug !
And surely I’ll get mine!
And we'll take a cup o’ kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

CHORUS

Sto lat
Sto lat ......(disappearing into the sunset he goes) .....

YAHOO, she's a comin' home Ma. Put on the kettle Daisy Mae.

Anonymous said...

"i'm ready for my close up mr de mille"

;)

Unknown said...

At the risk of being a gadget geek (again) make sure you set the DVD up for region 4 and PAL compatability ... lucky I mentioned I was taking a risk!

Anonymous said...

This is a close-up???? It's wabbit season, duck season, wabbit season ...... (need I go on????).

Over coffee today Reggie has kindly offered to assist you in re-acquainting yourself with the provinces .... she has been in solid training over the last few weeks (as her blog will tell you), even to the point of cooking ..... yeah, I know .... Reggie cooking!!!!!