Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Yo ho ho and a birthday dinner


Chicago Skyline and Boats 3
Originally uploaded by giramonda.

My Consulate Family went out for a communal birthday dinner tonight given that we have been, by and large, rather hopeless at remembering each other's birthdays over the course of the year. We enjoyed a wonderful dinner at the Chicago Yacht Club - Monroe Station.

The weather is turning foul so there aren't many boats around. Indeed within the coming weeks, all the boats will be stored at the mooring sheds in readiness for The Big Freeze. It's weird that we seem to have completely bypassed autumn in favour of a wintry chill already.

It was a lovely surprise to see Jenn there, and meet her lovely Mum, as they were both there to fix Jenn's boat that had been beaten up pretty badly by the storms we had a few weeks ago. Jenn had forgotten that I was going there, but I was so pleased that she came over to say hello when we arrived. It was great to introduce her to my work friends, given that they've all heard so much about each other but never really met.

The dinner menu was pretty extensive as far as I was concerned, so it was a tough choice. But in the end I chose delicious chicken tikka kebabs and a main course of warm, comforting meatloaf. It was just delicious and the sheer tradition of it got us all talking about the meatloaf we used to have as kids. Remember the one that had the boiled eggs in the middle of it? How the heck did we even make that?! But none of us forgot just how good leftover meatloaf on fresh white bread - plus the compulsory squirt of tomato sauce - could taste on a school lunch sandwich. Mmmm. Finished off with a strong espresso, I left the Club full but not stuffed. And very content.

Like any family dinner, we had arguments, changed allegiances mid-conversation, and had many laughs. But like any family dinner, we were also relaxed in each other's company and swapped tall stories and caught up on old news. It was a great night in wonderful company in an equally special location.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where was I when the meatloaf with the hard boiled egg in the middle was being passed around? Clearly I was getting the scuzzy bum end of the meatloaf and the rest of you were getting the centre.

I tell ya - meatloaf, on bread, with tomato sauce, cheese and pickled gherkins - you have a hamburger! Was the best primary school lunch I had and all thanks to Mikey's creative cooking.

Unknown said...

Must be the Scottish heritage but never experienced this meatloaf phenomenon ... ta da da da da ... phenomenon ... do da da da ... the muppets singing about phenomenon's though - that I got!

Unknown said...

Oh Reg, I can always count on you to stick a song in my head ALL DAY. The Muppet Show was a golden part of childhood. The Swedish Chef rocked, but I will never forget Gonzo and his Chicken Circus. Ahh memories.

Unknown said...

Memories ... like the corners of my moind ... tralalalalaaaaalala of the way we were