Wednesday, October 04, 2006

A Girly Dinner is the Best Therapy


Beautiful invitation
Originally uploaded by cattycamehome.

I can look back on this week's diary and know why I'm tired, but today was a particularly tiresome day at work. So by 4.30pm, I could have very easily given up and gone home to bed. But I had accepted a kind invitation from my friend Jenn to come to her place for dinner. Not one to pass up a home-cooked meal (cooked in someone else's home, that is), of course I had to go along.

Jenn's apartment is not far out of the city, towards my place, and I'd been there before about two weeks ago. She lives in a one-bedroom apartment in a building run by a rather curious doorman who needs to know the ins and outs of all her guests. I certainly didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.

Upon arrival on Jenn's floor, I could smell garlic and herbs and general deliciousness. After a cobbled-together appetiser cheese plate that I donated, and some delicious sparkly bubbly that Caro brought along, the dinner party was in full swing. We then sat down to a scrumptious main course of salmon stuffed with crabmeat, and mashed potatoes, green beans, and salad with poppy seed dressing. Delightful.

I don't know if Jenn slaved over that meal for hours but it sure seemed like it. We finished up with lemon sorbet (my absolute favourite dessert), and strong coffee with a dash of brandy in it.

And while I offered to help do the dishes, our gracious hostess politely declined and Caro and me left together to grab a cab. On the way home we reflected on how gracious a hostess Jenn had been, and how i could absolutely, positively, NEVER pull off such a meal. Salmon stuffed with crabmeat? I mean, come on!

2 comments:

glamah16 said...

You can get it at Costco, ready to cook. But yummy meal.

Unknown said...

You shattered my illusion.