Saturday, October 21, 2006

Celebrating Greektown


Greek Isles
Originally uploaded by StrudelMonkey.

I went along to the Cult last night for a celebration of Greektown in Chicago. This neighbourhood is out on the other side of town to me, but is a 3-block party central. Greektown is full of authentic restaurants, shops, and bars that celebrate the Greek community that has migrated here over the years.

Once I mentioned I was from the Australia, the old Greek couples on my table grew rather excited and asked me if I knew the Harris family from Sydney. Uh, no. But we collectively admired the Greek dancing and one guy next to me reminisced about how he, too, used to kick up his heels like that. I had trouble picturing that.

The buffet was wonderful - roast lamb that literally fell off the bone, hummus the likes of which I've never tasted, pita chips, and a delicious rice and feta salad made especially by my Cult sponsor, who invited me to the night in the first place.

Jenn and I equally admired the dessert buffet, and savoured the Greek coffee on offer. Man, it was all just so good.

But I didn't indulge in a spot of dancing, even though there was some audience participation encouraged. I made a very good spectator though, and enthusiastically applauded when necessary. I do however remember doing the zorba with George, Jems, and their friends around our house for my parents wedding anniversary a few years ago. I think I'll save my cultural dancing for when I'm back with family. Phew.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gab I was at Yianni's 21st b/day tonight and I remembered the Greek Dance I learned at Johnny and Leanne's engagement party. So proud!

Am disappointed you didn't get up to dance to the Zorba - and after I tried so hard to teach you. Will teach you the new dance I learnt at Christmas time so you can go back and "show em how it's done Greek style!"

Not long to go til Christmas Gab and counting!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Epah yasu .... spit, spit, spit. I'm glad they realised you were vegetarian and only served you lamb.

You know, if you enjoyed it so much, celebrating your b/day in the Greek isles might not be so hard to take.

Unknown said...

glad that you kept the sordid details of your bibopsy quiet and were happy to spectate and let people feel your hair - ahhh good times

Anonymous said...

I am shaking my head in disappointment at saying "learned" instead of "learnt".

oh, for shame!!