Tuesday, September 26, 2006

This is a bigger, weirder world than I thought

This morning I started raving on to Josh about how the Midwest is chock-full of Aussies that have achieved admirable career highs. We ranted further about how great it is to catch up with these Aussies whenever possible and reminisce over a beer or three about the homeland. Little did I realise just how close to home my day was about to get.

At 11am today, security phoned to tell me that a visitor had arrived at the Consulate for her meeting. The lady's name was just too unusual to mistake. Sure enough, an old high school classmate showed up at the Consulate to have Biggsy authorise a document for her. What a small world this really is! The girl and I had lost touch at the end of Year 9, when she moved away to another school. But up until she left we had been good friends and been in many of the same classes together.

Together we talked about the old days, while Biggsy just marvelled at our collective ability to remember back that far. [Fortunately my long term memory is OK, it's the short-term memory that is suffering these days]. We agreed that our friendship group as it was pretty much disintegrated after high school and we seem to have lived rather parallel lives in terms of travelling and seeking fulfilment in far-flung places across the globe.

Now this girl is working for a multi-national corporation and is living in a beautiful new apartment on the east coast. I have even been invited to stay at her place in Seattle if ever I make it over to the rainiest city in the country. You never know your luck - I just might take her up on that offer.

And you never know when a piece of your past is going to jump out of the shadows and surprise you.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I found a long lost sock in the back of the wardrobe of my new house the other day - it wasn't mine but if it had been .... spokky!

kilabyte said...

So ..... who was the girl ...hmmm....huh !!??

Parisienne said...

I hate for my first posting on here in forever to be pedantic but isn't Seattle on the west coast?

Anyway, it just goes to show and continue proving that the further away you get the more you realise how small this world really is.

I, for example, received a beautiful post card from Puerto Vallarta this morning and I have never even been there! Said post card even hinted at many beautiful photos taken by its author while there. Which may turn up on Flickr one of these days??...

Note how I can poke the finger on the photo front which I manage to update from time to time. I lose a lot of self-importance points if you consider blog postings! Which will be well noted by anyone clicking those damn links to my blog...

Unknown said...

Oh Kate, that's why I always need you at quiz nights - most notably for the geography rounds. I told you I have a superbly evil sense of direction. Seattle is, indeed, on the west coast of this great nation. I am in the Midwest. And my Puerto Vallarta photos are in my camera. SLACK.