Monday, June 19, 2006

The World Cup and the Globe

I am not a pub snob by any stretch of the imagination, and it's a good thing too because the Aussies took over The Globe Pub on West Irving Park Road to view Sunday's World Cup match.

While we weren't entirely confident of a win against Brazil, every Aussie in the room knew we stood at least a fighting chance, and we were willing to cheer the team on loud and strong.

Unfortunately Peter and I had to do this from the seated position, owing to a very large hangover and heightened sleep deprivation. Pete's birthday celebrations the night before were entirely to blame. Fortunately Courts and her "Certain Someone" leaned on each other for support but I think even they passed out at some point during the game.

I was really pleased to see so many Aussies there, and I just wished I had have got to the pub earlier to hang up my Aussie flag (that is actually taller than I am....I know, "that wouldn't be that hard" yes very funny haha you're all comedians).

But when the siren sounded and we'd lost 2-0 (although I was quite adamant that the second Brazilian goal was offside but no one asked me anyway), I was really proud of the boys. However I was also rather perturbed that no one thought to mention how good looking our Socceroos are. Where have I been all these years?!

No comments: