Thursday, June 01, 2006

Nobody puts Baby in a corner


Cinderella's glass slipper
Originally uploaded by ©herie.

Tomorrow is the big black tie benefit for the Lincoln Park Zoo, and I've got butterflies in my stomach just thinking about it. I don't know why I'm nervous. I didn't do anything for this event except buy a ticket and an outfit. My only responsibility is to turn up. So why the jitters?

I think it's because of a conversation I had with Peter the other day. Pete is a really good dancer - a proper one, as in ballroom dancing. He doesn't do it anymore, but I guess you don't ever lose your sense of rhythm or your confidence on the dancefloor. But I have a rigid fear of organised dancing.

I can do the "Nutbush City Limits" marathon, squished in with other drunken revellers, but I'm not good at the one-on-one, boy-and-girl, twirly dancing around the floor. I remember going to a wedding a few years ago, and two male friends asked me to dance and all I could muster was a shuffle around the floor. I was really embarassed, I remember, but the boys were good natured enough not to notice. When Marty dipped me backwards and my head nearly hit the floor, I figured it was time to take a breather, while quietly marvelling at my own elasticity and even more quietly hoping I'd be able to move the next day.

When I shared this fear with Kerry at work, she reminded me just then that no one will even be watching me on the dancefloor. That's a relaxing thought. I want people to admire my dress, but pay no attention to my grooving. That is until I've had a few bevvies and can discover (or perhaps even regain) some rhythm in the fantastic silver glitter wedge shoes that Joshua picked out for me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It might help if you reflect on THAT dance scene in the movie 'HITCH'. Arms in at the side, feet slightly apart and movements no larger than 6 inches at a time. Either that, stand on Peter's feet and have him do all the work while you seemingly 'glide' along.

Unknown said...

I used to love the whole 'on the foot dancing' thing when I was littel and let's face it - you're little, you can still get away with it.

I have high hopes for the "Push Up" moves to take over Chicago.

Anonymous said...

Who dances these days? Have a pretend microphone in your hand and serenade Peter instead - I remember you and Batreg had lovely singing and dance actions to a song called "Push Up". Can never think of that song in the same way now.

PS - "Come-to-me-lunges" are NOT a dance option!! Besides, you may scare Peter away.

Anonymous said...

Nut Bush City Limits? Isn't Tina Turner from NutBush Tennesse? I might bust a move to the African drummers.