Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Doesn't that sound familiar?


I can see a movie more than once, or read my favourite book a number of times over, but for some reason I can't seem to see the same musician or band more than once.  I don't know why that is, but I have just never done it.  

Last night was different, because I joined a very strong Aussie contingent for Missy Higgins's second visit to Chicago.  For those of you paying attention, you might recall I met Missy when she played here back in October, and I was only brand new to Chicago myself.  [Of coures, if I ever get around to scanning the photo taken of us, you might actually believe that I met her in person].

I played it cooler this time, and sat at the back of the steaming hot pub where she played, and it was a fabulous concert.  She performed all the hits from her album, "The Sound of White", which I have pretty much memorised anyway.  But then she also sang some new material that she'd written while on a recent sabbatical in Broome, Western Australia.

The best thing about last night was the response from Aussies who had just discovered Missy for the first time.  Biggsy, Josh, and Tristan had never really encountered her before, but they all came away with signed CDs and were raving about what a great performer she is.  The huge queue for merchandise and autographs afterwards was also a pretty good indicator that the rest of the crowd had a good time, too.

No comments: