Wednesday, June 28, 2006

The Aussie onslaught continues


Every morning when I come through the doors of the Consulate, I step onto classified Australian soil.  Surrounded as I am by my Aussie colleagues, I am still constantly reminded that the REAL homeland is so very far away.

So it's been a real plus for me to welcome Aussie friends travelling around the world into my home and my social life for however long they can stay with me.  They bring news of home with them, and let me know what pubs and clubs have opened, closed, or exploded (!) since I left.

Yesterday I welcomed Kate and Shylee to Chicago and I managed to talk my boss into giving me a 1/2 day off work so I could get them settled in.  Of course like all travellers, they brought with them a suitcase full of dirty laundry (literally, not metaphorically), so we set about taking care of that first.  Then last night we grabbed a cab up to Southport for some Thai dinner and a drop-in to the Scottish bar next door.  And later on, we walked down to a pub near Wrigley Field to see my new room mate Emma and her sister for a quick pint and then a leisurely walk home in the balmy air.

And I was so tired after yesterday's efforts that the 3am screams and carry-on of the evil girls downstairs didn't even phase me.  I do hope, however, that they did not disturbe my new guests, or Gab's gonna have to unleash the ninja.

4 comments:

glamah16 said...

Do you think they are drunk Or cries of passion?

Unknown said...

For heavens sake - let the Ninja loose, you've been keeping it all locked up for way to long. Let's face it, you'll only end up hurting yourself - pulled muscles and the like - if you try and use the ninja powers, best to let them go! How you managed to catch the ninja in the first place ...

Anonymous said...

No .... not the ninja. Last time it took 4 weeks for the hammys to unseize and da momma to sew up the split in the crotch of the ninja PJ's.

Anonymous said...

hahah split crotch in the ninja's pj's. Aw funny!!

I'd like to see you running across their living room screaming, arm raise crying "hhhhhiiiiiiyaaaa" and in the "ya" karate chopping them on the forehead.

Oh so funny.