Friday, May 12, 2006

Out of my (Ivy) League


Wedding Crashers
Originally uploaded by Cinencuentro.

There is something to be said for stepping out of a comfort zone once in a while, and jumping into a social situation far removed from one's normal experience.

There is quite another thing to be said about turning up at a reunion for the Alumni of one of America's premier educational institutions. But that's exactly what Courts and I got up to last night.

Courts, whose "Diary of a Shopgirl" site is a new addition to Blogger's online world (see the link at right), somehow got on the mailing list for the Princeton alumni. And in the spirit of my latest endeavour to be accepted into the high-brow Union League Club of Chicago, Courts rightly figured I'd like to go along with her to check out the Ivy League old scholars.

Having gained sufficient dutch courage from the couple of red wines at Bin 36 beforehand, Courts and I were primed to work the room at the Italian restaurant that played host to the reuinion. Schmoozing around the room, I was particularly surprised that not a single person I met actually went to Princeton.

They were frauds, just like me. Not a boat hat or rugby sweater in sight. These were my people.

Courts and I fit in effortlessly. We were witty, we were easy and breezy and, best of all, we were enjoying ourselves.

Just as the night was drawing to a close, and we were preparing ourselves to leave, we got talking to an immigration lawyer who blatantly asked for my business card. Before I could think, or before Courts could forceably restrain me, I had passed over my details on that seemingly harmless white cardboard. And after all of you readers helped me so willingly with your comments on my post the other day - coaching me about how to deal with just this very situation. So what's up with me?! Sheesh.

But okay did I mention that this immigration lawyer has his own practice AND he actually went to Princeton? I know I know....I can just feel the lectures coming.

3 comments:

glamah16 said...

But compared to Mr."Its Hard Out There for a Pimp", your prospects are improving. You've come along way baby....

Anonymous said...

lecture .... LECTURE !!!!! [sigh] seems we're going to have to get the glee club back together again for another round of "Hi, Gabs, I'm Doctor Nick (and friends) and I'm here to help you ...". "Hi, everybody ... I'm a phone-number-giver-outterer and I need help" .... At least he was a lawyer ... do they pay well in Chicago???

Anonymous said...

When in doubt Gab invite him over for a slide night - that always clears the family of unwanted girlfriends and boyfriends.