Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Bunking down and Moving up


Having a little puppy in the apartment has required me to display more vigilance than usual about how I leave my bedroom in the morning.  Because the door to my bedroom has STILL not been fixed, I need to make sure I do my best to slam the door as I leave, lest Preston body-slam his way into my room to take up residence on my bed (as he did last night).

But in the next two weeks, I will be making moves to switch bedrooms with Sarah, who leaves our apartment to move back in with her Mum in Wisconsin.  Sarah's job relocated her from Chicago to its Milwaukee office, and she takes off later this week.  I get to move into a much bigger bedroom, one I can probably even cartwheel in - if the mood took me.  And it so often does.

You may recall the G-rated incident of a few weeks ago that resulted in my IKEA bed collapsing out from under me.  The search is now on for a suitable replacement - one that gets delivered and assembled for me, of course.  Not sure how Preston will take it when he realises I'm abandoning my "Japanese scheme" in favour of a full-sized bed up off the floor.  He won't be able to take a flying leap onto it anymore.  But perhaps I could explain to him that buying a new bed is actually GOOD, because it means I get to buy a new Persian carpet square to put it on, and new bookshelves to accessorise it.  Of course I still have my IKEA chests of drawers (much better workmanship than the bed proved to be), so I won't have a bedroom FULL of new stuff, but at least I'll get to tart the place up a little.

Lex and I are also awaiting the arrival of our new flatmate, to take my bedroom (and adjoining bathroom).  Her name is Emma and she is from Ireland.  She is coming over to Chicago around about 9 June and will stay wth us through the summer and until our lease runs out in October.  So it will be a full house again soon.  And that will suit all of us just fine.

No comments: