Friday, April 21, 2006

Touring Toronto: Part 3


SPLASHY SPLASH
My first exposure to the majesty of Niagara Falls came from viewing the Marilyn Monroe movie, "Niagara". Not a cinematic masterpiece by any means, but certainly a wonderful backdrop for the murder-mystery plot. And back in those days, movie-making isn't what it is now; but even then, the awesome power of the Falls was obvious.

When Kate expressed an interest to see Niagara Falls with me, even though she'd visited them some years before, I was really excited. I mean, water is water but I knew I was in for something special with these Falls. And taking the train from Toronto to Niagara Falls (about 2 hours each way) was a great way to get there. The scenery on the train ride was beautiful, but will be even more striking in a few months time when all the trees have their leaves back and the grass isn't quite so dry and brown. Admittedly the gentle rocking of the train lulled me to sleep so I did miss some of the scenery but what I did see, I liked.

LINDA BLAIR, EAT YOUR HEART OUT
Now unfortunately for Kate, the late-night bistro dinner of pasta with several prawns that she'd consumed the night before decided to vehemently disagree with her and, as a result, vomiting of the kind only seen in "The Exorcist" ensued upon arrival at Niagara Falls train station. I have never seen nor heard expulsions so violent and Kate emerged from the ladies room at the station a shade of green that humans should never be. By that time her body had started to shake and she was feeling so unwell. Our return train to Toronto was not leaving until 5.45pm that night (only one return journey takes place each day), so the decision was made that Kate would check into a nearby hotel for the day and possibly sleep, but definitely make good friends with the bathroom. Poor thing, it was awful. But she wouldn't let me stay with her either, so I was instructed to get out and see the Falls and experience them for myself.

WATER, WATER EVERYWHERE
And when I did, I was honestly blown away. The Falls are enormous and noisy, but they are such a contradiction. They are at once both enormously powerful but at the same time beautifully peaceful.

There is a wide footpath (oops, sidewalk) on the Canadian side of the Falls and it was really nice to just enjoy the sunshine and walk along the path observing the Falls and taking lots of digital photographs from all different angles. Being Easter Monday, and one of the country's major tourist attractions, the crowds were out in full force, but everyone was pretty well behaved, and there was lots of room to move at my own pace along the mile or so pathway.

COME ON GIRLS, WET YOUR T-SHIRTS!
But I had come to the Falls primarily to see them up close, and to do that I booked myself onto a tour that purported to take visitors 'Behind The Falls'. Well that was a bit of a crock really. The tunnel tour takes you behind the falls, but only gives you two opportunities to glimpse the water crashing down through little open peepholes. I was imagining something like the scene in "The Last of the Mohicans" where Daniel Day Lewis walked Madeline Stowe right underneath the waterfall and they could just see the world through the crashing water. In retrospect, I suppose OHS&W laws prevent Niagara Falls tourism operators from exposing tourists to that sort of experience. Boo to them.
My second attempt at getting up close and personal with the Falls took me on The Maid Of The Mist, a boat that takes about 100 tourists right out around both Falls for a half hour each time, and you get to feel the pull of the current and the sprinkling of the water on your face. So much so actually that each person on the boat is given a blue plastic poncho to put on before the boat sets sail. On this occasion, I abandoned all 'grownup-ness' and actually elbowed some kids out of the way so I could stand up the front of the boat and feel the full force of the Falls experience. I was not missing out on this one for some gunky and unappreciative kid.

BRING OUT YOUR DEAD
At about 4.30pm, I'd seen all there was to see around Niagara Falls. It is an unashamed tourist trap, and so there aren't any 'normal' shops or sites to see. Everything that will stand still long enough gets slapped with a Niagara Falls sticker and sold for a fortune. I hadn't seen so many ultra tacky souvenir items in one spot since Lourdes in France. And that's saying something! Suffering from sensory overload, I returned to Kate's hotel room, and we hung out for a while before grabbing a cab back to the Niagara Falls train station for the return train journey to Toronto.

Kate was feeling a bit better, but certainly not up to doing anything grand on our last night in Toronto. And I was tired after my busy day walking around in the sunshine and jostling with tourists, so it certainly didn't phase me that we stayed in and ordered room service and watched about 10 episodes of "Friends" back to back.

I JUST BLEW INTO THE WINDY CITY
The next morning, Kate and I bade a sad farewell to our beloved Sweetsleeper beds and grabbed a limousine (as you do) to take us from the Sheraton to the airport. Our flight to Chicago was smooth and relaxing, and we spent the rest of Tuesday doing a load of laundry each and taking a leisurely stroll with Preston the puppy around the streets close to my apartment.

Toronto was such a beautiful city and I would definitely go back there. It's so multicultural, and easy to get around. The Canadians are friendly and engaging, ready with a laugh and an easygoing sense of humour. Being able to visit the city with Kate was just an added bonus, and though both of us were exhausted from our Easter holiday away, we were ready to tackle the bright lights of Chicago until Kate flies back to Paris on Sunday.

No comments: