Thursday, March 16, 2006

This goes with that?

My bedroom was freshly painted for me yesterday and now I feel settled enough to begin decorating. At least in theory.

I actually hate home decorating and I have very little sense of what goes together. I know what I like, but I like lots of little things, that doesn't really add up to one consistent style. For instance, I like the modern IKEA and Freedom furniture ranges, but at the same time I really like little Buddha statues, and I like the retro Andy Warhol-inspired prints.

See?! None of that stuff, when considered together, could possibly go together in one room, even I know that. Which is part of the reason I had my room painted in a beige-stone-browny colour. I'm sure the Martha Stewart paint collection I chose it from has a much cooler description than that, but I can't remember what name they gave it. To me it's just beige-stony-brown. In any case, it's neutral and will go with whatever weird accessories I choose to throw at it.

So this weekend I'm going to head to "Linens and Things" - a great 'one stop shop' - and pick up some shelving units to hammer into my walls. That's all this world needs; Gab with a hammer.

And to hell with design princples. I'm going to buy a little Buddha from the World Market primarily because I had a small one at home from Oxfam, and his roly-poly belly and happy face always make me smile.

My room mate Lexie is quite the artist, and when she was at college she did some really impressive and funky artworks. She gave me one a few months ago and it has been resting in my room ever since, just waiting for the walls to be painted. Now that it's been done, I can hammer a hook into the wall and put up the picture for a splash of colour and style. Again with the hammer....

I will stop by the pharmacy and get some Band-Aids just in case.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And an ice pack

And some special yellow pills

Unknown said...

I'm intrigued by the yellow pills ... did I take several (dozen) of those on the trek through Turkey or was that something different?

kilabyte said...

OOoooHHHhhhh moi gawd !!!! The Gabster with a hammer in one hand and a nail in the other. I'm now running a book on what gets hammered first - or is that who????