Friday, January 20, 2006

Come and get your underpants


Home in Houston
Originally uploaded by Miss Gab.

When I left Scotland to come to the States, I had to ask Betty & Armand to babysit a carry-on size suitcase (ironically because I couldn't carry it with me!).

So for the last few months, I've been saving money to fund my case's solo flight to Chicago, as part of the international movers door-to-door service. I am keen to get it back because it has photos, my gorgeous black netting dress (very Carrie Bradshaw, circa Season 5) and a large quantity of jewellery.

Four quotes later, would you believe it's actually cheaper for me to jump on a plane and 'cross the pond' to go and collect it myself?! I know, I was shocked too. But you can close your mouth now.

So on 2 February, I'll be mounting a weekend-long recovery mission to Glasgow. Annual leave being the fickle thing it is, I can only stay for the weekend, but I'm really looking forward to it.

I am still disappointed about the way I exited Scotland back in October, and I'm keen to atone for that now. When I left last time, I did so at about 6am the morning after flying back from London (and after a four-week holiday in Italy). So the rushed farewells left me no real 'closure' with Betty and Armand, after their generosity for hosting me the previous six months.

Coupled with that, Batreg was away on her own little junket with Trisch and I didn't get to say goodbye to her at all. Bad form, but admittedly unavoidable given the circumstances.

But the universe (and my bank account) is giving me a second chance. And on 2 February, I will get out of O'Hare International Airport to fetch my belongings from the bonny land. I have already been promised a roast lamb (haven't I?) and a clootie dumpling, and this pleases me. It has been a long time between dumplings. But the best bit? This time when I say goodbye, I will do it right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Come get your underpants eh? You were struggling for blog titles huh? :)