Thursday, December 15, 2005

Much Ado About Shakespeare


beautiful birthday flowers
Originally uploaded by flaurella.
Last night's performance of "Much Ado About Nothing" was just top-shelf and I loved it. The sets, the costumes, the acting - it was all so great.

But the theatre at Navy Pier? Oh my God, that place is incredible! I wasn't expecting the production to be like Mrs Fuller's Year 12 drama class, complete with cardboard sets and crepe paper costumes. Not at all. But a read-through of the program before the lights went down showed me that there is a hell of a lot of money invested in the Chicago Shakespeare Theatre!

Corporate Sponsorship packages of up to $100,000 are on offer and there are a lot of businesses in that category.

But the money had been spent wisely, because everything - from the sets to the costume to the PR - is all done in-house, and so it is a truly local production.

The audience was an interesting mix of young and old, but everyone laughed and enjoyed themselves.

Lexie even said she'd give me another free ticket for the next show since I had such a good time. I must have been on my extra special best behaviour!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've always been a polite girl Gabi - just ask some family members. They can tell stories of a young girl running around the house saying "Pardon pardon pardon pardon pardon".

Unknown said...

But what was she asking to be excused from??

Unknown said...

Don't ask, Reg - let's just leave it at the fact I was polite. That is a good lasting memory.

Anonymous said...

And thankfully what you were asking to be excused from was NOT a lasting memory!!!

Polite and healthy.