Saturday, October 29, 2005

Let the Sunshine In

I walked along Broadway this morning, humming this tune to myself and wondering whether "Zipedeedoodah" wasn't more appropriate. We had sunshine and a cool breeze, but it gave me a chance to wear my sunglasses again and look very cool, as I shopped until I dropped.

This area is home to some of the best outlet shopping around - and don't I just love it. So for $99 this morning, I got two pairs of shoes - both real leather uppers and soles. I know, I was gobsmacked too. I got some knee-high boots with a smallish heel (so I won't fall down and kill myself), and some flats from the Nine West outlet section of DSW. My sister would adore this outlet store - there are more shoes and handbags at discounted prices than you can poke a stiletto at.

Then it was off to the Gap, where I picked up some tops for work and a truly fabulous little handbag. Of course the cashier told me she loved the bag too (which is what they're supposed to say), so I obliged with my part in the conversation and told her that she should have got in earlier, because now it's mine. Or something smug like that, I don't really remember what I said.

And now Caroline and I are sitting around at home drinking beer, whiling away the hours till we have to frock up for the Halloween party. I have volunteered to make the same punch that was such a hit at Kate and Kirstin's 'house cooling' party in Paris earlier in the year, and so I hope it goes down just as well here.

My outfit is all set to go. I have decided to go as a vamp goth - resplendent in a black bustier and bustle satin dress ($12 bargain), plus red nailpolish and red lipstick (Katie, this stuff gives Cherry Bomb from Australis a run for its money!), and black hairspray. I hope I look good, and not like Kelly Osborne.

Please God let me look elegant and vampish on my first Halloween in the US. And please don't let me get my satin dress stuck in a cab door. And please don't let my punch go down TOO well and make me do silly things - or worse, sleep through Halloween.

Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

More shoes you can poke a stiletto at? 3 vowel sounds:

Oh
Ma
Gawd!