Thursday, September 01, 2005

Bound for the Windy City


Finally made it!
Originally uploaded by looey.
Some good news to share with you all. I have accepted a job offer with the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (Cth Government) to work in the Office of the Australian Consulate General, in Chicago.

The job is actually a unique hybrid of a PA and PR role - so it combines both of my skills areas. I will be working in a small office of about 10 people, but directly with the Consul General. I am really excited by the sorts of projects I'll be tackling in this new role.

The news is still sinking in, and it actually feels rather surreal to be visiting the travel agent and finalising flight plans to the US.

I need to be in Chicago in early October, to have a 2-week orientation period before work actually begins.

Some of you have been quite interested in how I managed to find this role. The DFAT website (www.dfat.gov.au) advertises jobs quite often, and this one was just listed there like all the rest. I wasn't going to lodge an application originally, but I figured 'why not?' and now I'm glad I did.

So I have nowhere to live, and no friends in the US, but at least I have some gainful employment and a really interesting new challenge.

Will keep you up to date as the Windy City life gets closer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.