Friday, August 05, 2005

Scotland: Premier holiday destination for aliens!




Or so the headlines might read, if one of the latest rumours around Paisley proves true.

I had to laugh when I read the local paper last night. It turns out that the Manager of Paisley's principal High Street shopping centre firmly believes that UFOs are trying to make contact with Paisley residents.

What has led to this affirmation on the part of the shopping centre boss was the appearance of a mysterious circle burned into the gravel on the roof of the Centre. The discovery of this 'crop circle' coincided with the simultaneous failure of electronic and radio transmission devices inside the shops. Did an alien craft land on the roof? One maintenance worker said he witnessed an aircraft of some kind leaving the scene, twinkling lights and all. The 'aliens' (the extra-terrestrial kind, not the Aussie kind simply trying to get a bank account) also apparently left behind a sheet of 'unusual' metal, which looked suspiciously to me like a silver thermal camping blanket. But what do I know? Oh how I chortled.

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not laughing to be malicious. In fact I'm open to the idea that aliens exist. I figure it's probably obnoxious of us to think that of the 9 official (and 1 nameless) planets in our solar system, Earth should be the only one harbouring 'intelligent' life forms. So I'm simply amused right now at the thought that aliens, who conceivably have the entire galaxy of planets and civilisations to choose from, would still elect to communicate with Paisley residents. Is anyone else baffled?

But for my 2 pence worth, the piece de resistance of this story is surely what's now to be done.

Forget NASA, or the Area 51 people. All the evidence from this local mystery is now destined for the UFO experts at Paisley University for further investigation. Oh mercy. Does it get any better than this?

No comments: