Tuesday, August 23, 2005

I just blew in from the Granite City

Greetings Ladies and Jellyspoons!

Have arrived back in Paisley, having spent a wonderful few days up north in Aberdeen. Can you believe we actually had sunshine for every single day we were there? So much so, that I had to buy a few cheap tshirts, given that all the tops I'd taken with me were long-sleeved? Shocking.

Aberdeen is known as the Granite City because many of the major buildings are constructed from the local granite. Okay, so not too many marks for creativity there. But the City itself, when caught in the right light, really does glow a beautiful silvery colour and it looks lovely. On the Sunday night when it rained, the City took on a rather un-glamorous grey tinge, which I don't admire so much. But you can't have everything now, can you? Photos to follow, naturally.

Our accommodation was central, and made it super-easy to walk around the City and through the many shopping arcades. I bought some souvenirs for my sister and, as I said above, some clothes for me.

We also ended up attending 2 stag parties on Saturday evening, in two separate pubs no less. Of course, we did not know either groom, but I shimmied on the dancefloor with one of them; and Batreg and I were whisked out the side exit of a bar by the other (so Batreg could escape the attentions of a rather aged creep - who bought us Drambuie, but that's not the point).

I seem to recall that the grandfather of one of the grooms took quite a shine to me, but that did not result in the premature bequest of any significant assets or the promise of any more drinks. So, like the Anna Nicole Smith rejects that we felt, we slung ourselves out of that bar and oozed up to our hotel room.

Thankful for a greasy Scottish breakfast, that I had just enough morning-after energy to shift around the plate with a fork, we saw 'Madagascar' at the cinema, and then saw the sights on a self-guided (aka aimless) shuffling/walking tour of the City.

So while it was a rather action-packed social weekend, it was a shame that we didn't get up to Inverness while we were there, or over to Balmoral to have tea & scones with the Queen at her Scottish retreat, but there is plenty of time left for that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

(hides head in shame)....no