Thursday, April 28, 2005

Lest I forget my Turkish experience


GALLIPOLI ANZAC COVE (ARIBURNU)
Originally uploaded by seyyah.

I am back in Paris now, having enjoyed 15 days "Going Troppo in Turkey" with Topdeck Tours.

The trip certainly was eventful and I am exhausted. I had wanted to keep a daily journal, as I had done up till now. Unfortunately we were so busy (or intoxicated?) each night that I was too tired or too hungover the following day to write any kind of retrospective.

That said, of course, I have kept all the ticket stubs of the tourist attractions I explored and the cafes I frequented. So in that sense, there is plenty of fodder for late journal entries, if I am ever so inclined.

Our tour group consisted of 3 Kiwis and 28 Aussies, so you can just imagine how rowdy we ended up. To coin a phrase from one Aussie (Ben), we "carved it up" on the dancefloor many nights, drank way too much local beer (Efes) and explored the varied Turkish landscapes.

And the ANZAC experience was seriously something I will never forget. There were a few tears shed by yours truly (thanks in large part to the haunting Last Post), but the highlight was the Aussie ceremony at Lone Pine Cemetery.

I am not sure what was actually written in the Aussie or NZ media about our behaviour at the Cove, but I did hear that Aussies were criticised for being "disrespectful". I'm not sure I can agree with that, based on my experience on the event.

I loved the Lone Pine service and I don't think we were too bad. Sure, the Mexican Wave and the "Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi" might have been a bit unconventional, but it was fuelled by honest national pride, and such enthusiasm, the likes of which I've never seen. And it was so infectious that I think even John Howard enjoyed himself. Prince Charles certainly had a smile on his dial.

And while I've collected quite a nice Turkish tan to remember my 15 days away, I have also made some good friendships that I hope will endure. I have a set of UK-based friends who have pledged to make me a decent coffee if ever I'm in their town.

Something tells me that if and when we catch up, an Efes beer for old time's sake will be our first choice.

No comments: