Thursday, March 31, 2005

Florence: The search for good coffee continues


What I found in my coffee today
Originally uploaded by F o u t u g r a p h e.

There doesnt seem to be much time for lengthy blog updates these days, does there?

I am writing this from my 2nd hotel in Florence. We abandoned our first one - which for fear of legal repercussions I cannot name - in favour of this sanctuary only today. I am not kidding when I say that our first hotel was "the very fleabitten gateway to hell". It was so upsetting I am not even prepared to blog about it, and I am not a drama queen about these things. But there are some things a girl cannot abide - holes in the floor, dribbly shower with no water pressure, being just two of them.

So I move on.

Our three day sojourn in Florence has been blessed by sensational weather, so it has been pants and tshirts all round. We found a laundromat to freshen these clothes, much to the relief of the Florentines I am sure. But once that was out of the way, we criss crossed the City and explored cafe after Museum after Church. Very comprehensive, let me tell you.

Today we were on our feet from 9am until we went to an English cinema at 5.50pm. Now that is quite some walking - and some of it was even uphill. But I hope that our photos, soon to be blogged here, will be a good reflection of this town.

Florence is busier than I remembered, and one must pay particular attention lest ye be run down by a horse drawn carriage, car, bus, or moped.

The police here have funny white tophats and handbags, and we have been joking that our friend Courtney would just love it. She would love the policemen, but particularly the fact that Florence is the leather, gold, and silver jewellery capital of the world. The shopping here is just superb.

We each did a bit of damage to our credit cards in Venice, so we have been taking it easier here. Still, it does no harm to window shop - and gelati by the bucket load is not doing us any real damage either, I am sure.

Next stop is Rome, then Milan, then back to Paris.

Thanks to everyone for their emails of encouragement and good wishes. I am over the cold that hit me in Venice, so I am ready to tackle the Roman sites and enjoy this next stage of our adventure.

1 comment:

kilabyte said...

Make sure you remember that hotel name .... we don't want to make the same mistake. Watch out in Rome - with the Pope's health methinks Rome may not be the best place to be for too long.