Saturday, February 26, 2005

Paris in the winter time

We left Hong Kong at 11:35pm or so last night and we had the worst seats ever. Granted we were seated together, but we were more squished on this long flight than we were on the plane that brought us to Hong Kong. I suppose in retrospect it proved to be no big deal, since Andrea and I were asleep before dinner was even served. We snoozed on and off for the full twelve-hour flight, but still resembled the walking dead when we finally got to Paris at 6am. It didn't help that it was -2 degrees Celcius once we hit the tarmac.

So it was on with the polar fleece and scarf, and trying to be good-humoured as we took the airport bus from Charles de Gaulle all the way into the Paris Opera, where Kate met us. When we found Kate's apartment, we enjoyed a fabulous French breakfast of fresh baguette (plus Vegemite), strong coffee, and pain au chocolat (chocolate croissants) and other danishes.

After breakfast we had a shower to freshen up (much needed given our zombied state), and took off to go shopping and sight seeing. I really needed a pair of gloves and a warm coat. Walking around a few blocks, we found "Brontebay" and I picked up a pair of black leather gloves with cashmere lining, which are absolutely beautiful and super warm. Then it was off to Zara, where I found a beige coloured zip-up jacket which is also super warm. Given the colour, I will of course attract every speck of dust and crap between here and Italy but at least I now have a decent top - no more polar fleece!

Tonight is a James Bond party with Kate's expat group, then tomorrow will most likely be more sight seeing in my fabulous new gloves and jacket. I don't think I will be appropriately dressed for it, but most of Kate's friends already know Andrea and I are coming, so no doubt they will make allowances for our attire. Maybe I will flash them my gloves.....

Off to have a late afternoon nap now - will write again soon.

3 comments:

kilabyte said...

Joyce says Hi; Robert says Hi; and Wayne says Hi. Joyce says if you come back via Honkers and don't say Hi, more Buddha ...........

kilabyte said...

Joyce says Hi; Robert says Hi; and Wayne says Hi. Joyce says if you come back via Honkers and don't say Hi, more Buddha ...........

Anonymous said...

Is there an echo in here? hahah