Thursday, February 10, 2005

Back to MY city by the Bay

I spent the day at Glenelg with Susan and baby Daisy (Ellinor really). I don't get to The Bay often, but I really should. It was a bit cold, sure, but we had a carafe of rose in chilled glasses, some pizzas, strong coffee and a chocolate biscuit at a cafe that fronted onto Jetty Road. We got to people watch and other people watched us. Oh and the waiter was cute - and foreign. It was a great day out.
Perhaps it was the baby that drew the admiring glances because though my new glasses are fabulous they aren't, admittedly, all that interesting. Unless you're into that sort of thing I guess. Being in public with a baby, even if it's not your own, is a real people magnet. No one approached us, but there were definitely some admiring glances being levelled in Daisy's direction. Little wonder really; the kid's a stunner. And so well behaved. Cries when she's hungy, or cries when she's tired. It really is that simple. None of the mind games that some other kids play.
So there it was. I got to play wannabe Aunt for a day in fabulous weather, and I didn't have to hold Daisy to do it (phobia of mine). All I had to do was to tickle her stomach every now and then, play with her fingers, and make goofy faces to keep her smiling. My top stayed free of spit-up and my nerves were in check (thanks in some small part to the rose I expect).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hope it's not the way you plan to placate all your lunch companions because let me tell you know - I'll only tolerate it once!