Monday, January 03, 2005

At last...some principles!

I think it’s fair to say that, for most people, the first day of a New Year brings with it the inevitable soul search for an appropriate resolution.


I am no exception to this general rule; however, my resolve has not proven to be worth much in the long run. By the second week in January, I tend to have fallen off whatever moral high horse I’d clambered onto at the stroke of midnight the week before.


The New Year’s Resolution is the definitive ice-breaker at parties like the one I went to last night. Everyone you meet wants to know what you’re planning to give up doing, or what you’re prepared to go without in the interests of a seemingly fresh start to the year. And perhaps that’s what I find so irritating about the resolutions – they seem to be all about sacrifice. People resolve to start dieting, or to quit smoking – but why not a resolution to keep doing something? I think that even I can stick to a resolution that demands I continue with certain behaviours. In light of this “resolution revelation”, in 2005 I hereby resolve to:

· keep blogging on;
· keep in touch with loved ones even when life gets super busy; and
· keep smiling in the face of adversity.

Clearly this last "resolution" will be the most difficult.


To you and your family, wherever in the world you all may be, have a lovely New Year – and may the coming 365 days bring you fun and smiles, and all the 1980s music marathons than you can handle.

No comments: