Sunday, November 14, 2004

Bound for Botany Bay

Back in the days of Captain Cook, this wide brown land was the last resting place of many of the UK's hardened criminals - bread stealers, prostitutes, political activists etc. If you live in Australia none of this is new to you. But I would have thought that in the 200+ years since Federation, things might have changed. Sadly I have been mistaken.


Returning home on Saturday night after dinner and an early movie (about 9.30pm), we discovered our home had been robbed. And while none of my personal possessions had been taken, my parents lost expensive IT equipment and cash. My sister's jewellery was taken but, what I think was the biggest violation of all, our bedside tables had been ransacked and their contents spilled on the floor.


What is wrong with people? What is not connected in their brains that makes them think for a second that this sort of behaviour is okay? I know what it is - it's the fact that there is ZERO consequence for robbing people. You don't get your hands severed here, like you would in some other countries (though my father is willing to enact this punishment on whatever bastard(s) visited us on Saturday night!), and you certainly don't get a decent prison sentence to become some evil man's bitch for a time. Nope, you get off scott free to go and do it again and ruin some other family's weekend.


Well I'm sick of it. I am sick of the people that rob houses, and I'm sick of their skanky girlfiriends or famillies who receive stolen goods with open arms. My sister is hoping that her earrings will infect the lobes of the bitch that puts them on, knowing that they were acquired dishonestly. And I hope that the digital camera and computers they pinched from us crash repeatedly, or blow up in their faces.


So the next time someone wanders up to me in the mall asking for $2 for a bus ticket, forgive me for being callous and telling them to fuck off. I work hard and honestly for my belongings, so I'm going to derive as much personal pleasure from them as I can. Untill the next time they are ripped off me one night under a cowardly cover of darkness, when I'm out with my loved ones.

No comments: